Sunday, February 21, 2010

for whom the (wedding) bells toll

I’m at my own wedding, although I have no idea who I am marrying.  After a bit, I realize that I am wearing a full-on wedding dress and am surprisingly not uncomfortable.  I am preparing to enter the reception, which is outside, around the back of a building, in a garden.  As I enter, I am greeted by girls who are supposed to be my bridesmaids.  I am surprised to find that my sister is not my maid of honor.  Friends hug and kiss me and hand me my flower bouquet and a boutonniere for my groom?  People are sitting around eating and drinking.  There is a pool or pond and my college friends start jumping in and splashing around.  Everyone is laughing and having a great time.  The garden turns into a 50s burger joint and I decide that my friends and family know me so well because this is the perfect place for a wedding reception.  It’s time to leave and I am hugging people goodbye.  My girlfriends are crying and I am thanking them for all the work they did.  My dad is there and is crying.  The crowd clears and I see my grandfather, who has been dead for 10 years.  He is crying and we hug.  He tells me I look beautiful and that he is so proud of me.  I am surprised that he is so accepting of my gay(?) wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment